[haiku-development] Re: Introducing myself

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:43:16 +0100

Hi Jartur,

jartur@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Greetings All,
I am a newbie in your community. Seeing there's no open source desktop OS I'd like to contribute to the possible creation of one. I'm from Russia so pardon my English.

Welcome to the community! Your English seems excellent.

My skills: I am a professional C developer, but as a hobbyist I have also experience in C++ (not that much, unfortunately, but I am quite "learnable" I think), Java (about 2+ yrs), Ruby (I know it well enough, but may it help here? Maybe porting ruby and doing some scripting stuff or so?), Lisp/Scheme (average), OCaml (I suppose it's not interesting at all to you) and some other stuff which I don't care about remembering.

Although most of the code in the project is in C++, it certainly sounds as though you will be able to cope with it. I'm not sure about Ruby, but I think the focus at the moment is more on the core system - meaning C and C++ code.

I professionaly work in software development for mobile devices (phones, Motorola) and work mostly in Multimedia area, particularly in cataloging/navigation. Also I have experience of creation of Unit test framework.

Unit tests are always good, and something that we have never really had a formal policy on. More tests will always be greatly appreciated.

Hrs/week: this may vary greatly due to my busyness at work. But I can guarantee about 10-14 hrs/week. I'd like to work on UI & data cataloging/navigation probably. I mean for this point of development. If you need a developer who would like to work towards Web 3.0, widget platform or so, let me know when it will be appropriate =) Also I'd like to write user-space applications more than digging into system, but this is also the note for future.

Currently applications for Haiku are written using the Be API - it's a nice, clean C++ API that's pretty straight forward. Due to limited resources the plan is to use an existing HTML rendering engine (there is a Firefox port that sort-of works, and interest in a KHTML/Webcore port) - so if you're interested in Web 3.0 Haiku may not be the right project for you (at least not yet).

However we do have lots of work needed on other user-space applications - from simple preference apps to more complicated things like file viewers and resource editors.

So I suppose it's all I have to say at the moment.
Hope to find here what I hope to find.

I hope you do too!

The best next steps I can suggest is to take a look at the BeOS API if you don't know it - there's documentation at http://www.beunited.org/bebook/ and some sample code http://www.bebits.com/app/3019. You can download the Haiku SVN and look at the source for some of the included applications - instructions on the website for how to do that. Finally there's the Haiku bug tracker at http://dev.haiku-os.org that you can use to find a bug that interests you and try to fix it! Searching for "easy" might throw up some simple tasks that would be a good introduction to Haiku development.

A lot of the Haiku devs do their development under Linux and testing with VMWare - I think there are instructions on how to set that up on the website (Ryan, have you uploaded your how-to yet?)

Just ask if you have any other questions, I'm sure someone who knows more than me would be happy to help you out!

Best of luck,

Simon

All the best,
jartur