[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1A5 timelines?

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 15:03:38 +0200

Am 27.05.2014 14:37, schrieb Przemysław Pintal:

What do you think, how can we motivate existing developers to spend there
little spare time more often on Haiku?

Money. If you earn money on something, that is not just a hobby but a necessity.

Sending out a survey to all developers with commit access and people
doing ports and applications. With questions how they make their
money, and for what platform they write software (job). What kind of
applications, frameworks it requires. And what they lack to complete
the migration. Should also ask about what are the technical
disadvantages of the project. Then we can change the priorities for
Haiku.

There are several errors in your argument.

* First of all, *who* would port frameworks to Haiku, so Haiku developers can then target Haiku with their day-job projects? The question was how to motivate existing Haiku developers to spend more time on Haiku, not how to make the platform more attractive for theoretical future Haiku developers. (Because first things first.)

* The number of Haiku developers who also make a decision about which platform(s) to target in their day-jobs must be small, perhaps non-existant.

* Obviously there is no relevant user-base for Haiku which can be added to an existing user-base of a day-job project to increase income. The users are already on other platforms. The best you could hope for is that some users switch to Haiku after an application is available for it. But there is no additional money to be made by making a part of your existing user-base switch platforms. In summary, you have only the additional effort of porting to Haiku, or the effort of making Haiku a potential target in the first place (porting a framework).

We must make that Haiku developers, used Haiku not Linux! Then they
will begin to see gaps and will improve.

That is sure the case. So how would you go about making Haiku developers use Haiku more often? Using BeOS, and keeping to use it in the form of Haiku on more modern hardware, used to be *the* main motivation for working on Haiku, no? So what does it tell you about the other platforms and how they developed in the last 12 years, that most Haiku developers appear to be using Haiku no longer as their primary OS? This, by the way, is why I think doing a Haiku release right now won't change a thing to make Haiku more attractive, to anyone.

We need to change the thinking. Haiku is too big for a hobby, it must
be a product. Because now some subsystems are not developed over the
years, and Haiku does not keep up for new paradigms.

It doesn't matter what you call Haiku. It is what it is. You can view it as a "product" right now and it wouldn't change a thing. Of course if a company with money resources suddenly decides they want to make money off of Haiku, then obviously that changes things. That's what Mindwork was. Except it didn't have enough money to sustain things.

BTW I'm afraid that if the last release before the R1 will focus on
the fixes, the project can not survive. People prefer to implement new
functionality, do not want to correct errors, especially other
people's.

So you mean we should not work on a release right now, but rather everyone can think of the feature he would like the most, and implement that, so the next release, however long its going to take because of the new features will have something to show?

My question remains unanswered: what can be done to motivate existing Haiku contributors to work more on Haiku? Because whatever needs doing right now, we need someone to do it first.

Best regards,
-Stephan