[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1A5 timelines?

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 10:15:00 +0200

Hi,

Am 27.05.2014 01:20, schrieb Przemysław Pintal:
I could write about this for a long time, about my experiences, about
what plans and problems we had. I'm depressed.

Doing a release is just like any other task in the project: It needs people with some time, enough motivation and the necessary skills. Even changing the proecess of preparing a release is no different. It needs people to do it.

So you can lament all day that there is no release and how it would improve the publicity of the project... the real problem seems to be that - right now - there are not enough people, not enough motivation and not enough time. What do you want to do about that?

I know that with enough motiviation, it is possible even with a family, to find some time after work for Haiku. Once in a while at least. The only thing that motivates me enough these days is when there are others pushing things forward already and I want to be part of the fun.

In the past, Haiku was extraordinarily lucky. First it was driven mainly by students with enough time. Then there was Mindwork, it continued on with other situations where important developers had enough time and provided motivation for each other in some sort of feedback loop. The biggest contributors had no kids. We had time for summer gatherings and coding sprints. All that seems to have almost died down. In any case, the past luckiness may be distorting the perception of the development of the Haiku contributions over time.

In some ways, the project has grown to be a lot more powerful compared to just a few years ago. We have enough donations flowing in now to more or less pay one developer to work on Haiku almost full time. I find that amazing and to me its a growth indicator. It could inspire the motivation in more developers, and it sometimes does at least to me. At the same time, I think there is overall a bit too little progress for my taste. Maybe it's due to spending a lot of time on work that has not so much immediately visible results like working on the WebKit test suit and doing merges (which is important don't get me wrong). The weekly reports are an excellent thing however.

Looking at it this way, I believe that at least Haiku Inc is doing what it can to improve the situation. And the donors are as well.

What do you think, how can we motivate existing developers to spend there little spare time more often on Haiku?

Best regards,
-Stephan