[haiku-development] Re: Haiku & Google Code-In: Help Needed

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 15:24:28 +0100

scott mc, on Mon, 1 Nov 2010 15:21:47 -0800:
> For user guide updates would we want to have localized screenshots
> updated as well?  And if so would that make it depend on the HTA
> translations to be in place first?

Yes, eventually we'll have localized screenshots as well. But as said
before and you correctly point out as well, the strings at HTA have to
be current with the apps/prefs/system in SVN and they have to be
validated in order to appear in Haiku.

> I've taken a quick look at HTA and it seems we may be able to break
> translations into 3 groups, That is apps starting with A-E, F-N and
> O-Z. [...]
> Maybe the user guide can be broken down into sections as well?

One could have a look what pages are still missing for some translation
and bundle together pages to get in sum, I dunno, 50kb per task (plus
taking into account content-like pages that don't require a lot of work
but weigh in rather heavily kilobyte-wise).
I would only start creating these task-packages, when there's actually
someone there seriously interested in doing it. Otherwise it takes just
too much time.

Currently there are some pages left for Italian, Japanese, Portuguese,
Swedish and Ukrainian.
Since we need someone checking the work, only currently active
translations are candidates for the Code-In. Before handing out task
packages, we'd of course have to ask the respective Language Manager if
there's someone willing to be the mentor/checker.

> Anyone have ideas on checking?

Easiest to hand out the HTML page and getting back the translated page
and copy&pasting the blocks in the online tool.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de