[haiku-development] Re: Haiku & Google Code-In: Help Needed

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 15:21:47 -0800

> The problem I see in general with translation work: who can check the
> contributions?
> This means IMO, that only already started translations can be joined by
> Code-In students.
> Then there's the problem of giving write access to someone to the HTA
> or the user guide translation site. The user guide site at least logs
> every change (though checking it all and maybe having to revert things
> would be no fun...), how's HTA doing it?
> Maybe "sandboxed" versions could help, i.e. having them work on a copy
> and have the mentoring translator check their work while pasting blocks
> into the production database? But how to track where who changed what?
>
> Also, I think there are still no updates between SVN and HTA. What's
> currently in HTA are not necessarily the strings of an app in SVN (see
> Installer, for example).
>
> I'm not that familiar with localization with HTA, but for me it looks
> like the user guide may be an easier target for contributions. New
> chapters could be handed in as normal text/html. Translations could be
> handed out chapterwise as well, also as text/html. No permissions and
> changes-tracking headaches.
>
> Regards,
> Humdinger

For user guide updates would we want to have localized screenshots
updated as well?  And if so would that make it depend on the HTA
translations to be in place first?

I've taken a quick look at HTA and it seems we may be able to break
translations into 3 groups, That is apps starting with A-E, F-N and
O-Z. That way if a student is really good at translating they can
probably do an entire language to complete a set of three tasks.  We
could then post then in a series, so that when one set is done we then
post the next one in the series, so as not to overload a checker.

Maybe the user guide can be broken down into sections as well?
Anyone have ideas on checking?

-scottmc