[haiku-development] Re: Haiku & Google Code-In: Help Needed

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 11:43:59 +0200

scott mc, on Wed, 27 Oct 2010 13:27:52 -0700:
> For the translation tasks we could probably use a mentor that could
> check off when students complete tasks and to delegate checking of
> the
> students' translation work to someone who is able to verify each
> prior
> to checking it done.

The problem I see in general with translation work: who can check the
contributions?
This means IMO, that only already started translations can be joined by
Code-In students.
Then there's the problem of giving write access to someone to the HTA
or the user guide translation site. The user guide site at least logs
every change (though checking it all and maybe having to revert things
would be no fun...), how's HTA doing it?
Maybe "sandboxed" versions could help, i.e. having them work on a copy
and have the mentoring translator check their work while pasting blocks
into the production database? But how to track where who changed what?

Also, I think there are still no updates between SVN and HTA. What's
currently in HTA are not necessarily the strings of an app in SVN (see
Installer, for example).

I'm not that familiar with localization with HTA, but for me it looks
like the user guide may be an easier target for contributions. New
chapters could be handed in as normal text/html. Translations could be
handed out chapterwise as well, also as text/html. No permissions and
changes-tracking headaches.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de