[haiku-development] Re: GSoC: Implement ZeroConf/Bonjour support

  • From: Ma Jie <china.majie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 22:34:14 +0800

> Sounds excellent! In your application, you could elaborate on the "porting
> mDNSResponder to Haiku" point a little bit more, maybe show in which areas
> you expect some possible difficulties, perhaps you can break this point
> down a little more. Maybe also mention why you think mDNSResponder is
> better suited than Avahi. Since you already worked on Poorman, obviously
> you don't need to pick a ticket for fixing. :-) I am looking forward to
> your application!

Hi Stephan,

I didn't dig into the codes. But when I tried to compile mDNSResponder
on Linux, I find that the cross platform support may be abandoned and
some gcc incompatible codes was added to the sources. This may also
affect the haiku port.

I don't know whether haiku supports Unix domain socket. If not, IPC
related codes needs to be rewritten.

Regarding why I think mDNSResponder is better than avahi, avahi is
popular in the linux community and of course heavily uses the gnu
autotools, while mDNSResponder uses clean and clear makefiles. since
mainly designed for linux, avahi lacks porting directions. Finally
maybe haiku prefers apache license to LGPL as shown in the idea page.

Regards,
majie