[haiku-development] Re: GSOC 2013 QT in R2

  • From: Kingdon Barrett <kingdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 19:13:36 -0400

On Jun 19, 2013 6:58 PM, "M RICE" <rice43@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey,
> ... I think haiku should fork QT, rename everthing, remove portability
and make it use of extensive threading, Then I would take it as new native
API.
> My suggestions are probably not the right but I think this should be
discussed before making haiku with the old beos API incomaptible.

It's an idea so crazy it just might work, IMHO

Maybe some developers are familiar with QT already, but I don't know it.
As for a code review, you can get away with reading all of the functions
without renaming them, but you can't honestly imagine that you would rename
them all and not read to understand what they do (and how they fit
together).

So, can you honestly say that QT is already perfect?

I tried ReactOS the other day and it was so bad, I just had to come back
and give Haiku another chance.  In spite of that I can't get VirtualBox
additions working, the beginning user experience is perfectly polished!
Granted Haiku is built off BeOS, and ReactOS is ... supposed to be Windows
XP.

--Kingdon