[haiku-development] Re: GCC 2.95 and certain #define macros

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 20:02:45 -0400

On 8/19/07, Duane Ryan <bailey.d.r@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm afraid you're screwed here; apple hasn't used 2.95 for, what, four
> years? The same's true for the kde folks who (??) also contribute to the
> code. Quite frankly, noone has. You're going to run into these problems left
> and right with code as modern as webkit

You don't need to convince me of this, believe me! :)

It is for this reason I decided to port WebKit to Haiku and not to BeOS.

It is also why I'm so adamant about creating a custom Haiku
runtime_loader which can load both GCC 4.x binaries and older GCC 2.95
binaries for backward compatibility. This will need to be done
eventually for R2 and beyond (unless we plan to totally drop backwards
compatibility after R1.) I suggest doing it now, and until I see
someone yelling "no, stop, it is impossible, you are wasting your
time" I plan to see what I can do about it.

Ryan