[haiku-development] Re: GCC 2.95 and certain #define macros

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 18:26:57 -0400

On 8/19/07, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Even if it sounds very hacky: wouldn't it be possible to use the
> preprocessor of GCC4 with GCC2?

Maybe. I've been learning a lot about the GCC tool chain lately out of
necessity.

> Alternatively, there might be patches to enhance the GCC2 preprocessor
> to support this?

I've since looked over some code from Murai in Japan who got the
Syllable port of JavaScriptCore compiling and there is another way to
fix this: just define all the possible values for the various WTF_
constants that would be checked by the problematic macro. It is a bit
hacky but may work.

I haven't done that yet because, frankly, I don't want what could be a
relatively simple port turning into a huge mess because of the old
crusty GCC 2.95. Though I suppose BeOS programmers have been doing
this for years, I think it is time we stop.

I suggest we see about implementing what I suggested in the first
email. Unless there is some huge show stopping reason why GCC 2.95 and
GCC 4.x binaries cannot exist on the same system. I don't see why not.
Apple even got PPC apps running on Intel through emulation when they
moved to x86. I'm sure we can get x86 apps running on an x86 system ;)

By the way I will look into implementing this, as I'm not usually in
the habit of trying to suggest work for other volunteers in this
project :)

Ryan