[haiku-development] Ethernet drivers question

  • From: "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6723@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 23:46:34 +0000

>> Motherboard in question is MSI Z77 MPOWER, and Ethernet chip is Realtek
>> 8111E, which comes in many variants, but presumably only one on a given
>> motherboard model.

>> (Free, Open and DragonFly)BSD recognize this Ethernet but fail to connect.
>> Linux, NetBSD and Haiku R1Alpha4 are OK, so no complaint against Haiku on
>> this issue.

> > I pointed out that the Ethernet chip was supported in Haiku R1A4.  I was
> > able to web-browse with Web Positive.

> We have a compatibility layer for FreeBSD drivers -- we're able to adopt
> them pretty much without any changes.
> If the driver does work in Haiku R1alpha4, it could be that it has been
> broken in FreeBSD at a later point (as that release is quite old already).
> In that case, it's likely that we adopted the bug in the mean time. So
> you might want to check out a nightly build to see if your hardware
> still works.

> Bye,
>    Axel.

It's possible that the updates to Haiku broke the Ethernet driver.

In that case, it would be helpful if I could download the suurce tree for Haiku
R1Alpha4 for reference and comparison,  not to build.

Is this source tree still available?

I am working on building Haiku current version but have some other projects
like cross-compiling a Linux toolchain and setting up Seagate Business Storage,
and seeing if I can set up NFS and PXE boot.

One sticking point is undependable Internet access from FreeBSD on MSI Z77
MPOWER motherboard.

Tom