[haiku-development] Ethernet drivers question

  • From: "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6723@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 03:20:10 +0000

>> Motherboard in question is MSI Z77 MPOWER, and Ethernet chip is Realtek
>> 8111E, which comes in many variants, but presumably only one on a given
>> motherboard model.

>> (Free, Open and DragonFly)BSD recognize this Ethernet but fail to connect.
>> Linux, NetBSD and Haiku R1Alpha4 are OK, so no complaint against Haiku on
>> this issue.

> It's here:

> http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/src/add-ons/kernel/drivers/network/rtl81xx/dev/re/if_re.c#n234

> It's a lot easier to determine if a given chip is supported if you have the
> vendor/deviceid, hwoever...

> - Urias

I pointed out that the Ethernet chip was supported in Haiku R1A4.  I was able
to web-browse with Web Positive.

I get details about the vendor and device ID from /var/run/dmesg.boot in
FreeBSD and NetBSD; there are also some programs for listing PCI and USB
devices.

I can only guess that current builds of Haiku will still have this Ethernet
support, but must consider the possibility that importing the driver from
FreeBSD might spoil this Ethernet support.

Is the source tree for R1A4 still available, just in case I need it?

Now it looks like Haiku can't be built from NetBSD.  configure script produced

sha256sum: not found
sha256: not found
Unsupported platform: NetBSD

I found /sbin/sha1 for NetBSD.

FreeBSD has sha1, sha256 and sha512 hard-linked (meaning all are the same
file), but nothing named sha256sum.

I could use symbolic links, at least temporarily, but configure would still not
want to configure under NetBSD.

So back to FreeBSD where Internet connection is by unstable wi-fi.

I see configure script has a no-download option, which I presume could produce
Haiku with sufficient tools to rebuild itself.

Tom