[haiku-development] Re: Entry rename and queries

  • From: Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:20:15 +0100

Axel Dörfler wrote:
So there's currently no way to catch such cases in a robust way. What can we do about that?

I think the best solution would be to introduce a flag that tells a live query that you want to monitor all query results automatically. That's the only way of preventing the race condition between sending and receiving the query changes.

I don't mind starting a watch for each query result but in fact most of my questioning is due to performance / complexity concerns. It seems that node monitoring is quite cheap if not gratuitous, but i'm not so sure, there's that limit (and the bebook advice) that make it sound like it has a hidden cost or scales badly.
I tried to grok the sources a bit, but i wouldn't mind some explanations :)
For example, what is the cost of watching a directory / each node separately?
Why is there a watch limit?

Regards,
Alex