[haiku-development] Do optional packages need to include everything they do?

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 11:30:37 +0200

Hi,

some of the current alpha image's optional packages seem to include much
too much stuff. I have not yet updated the OptionalPackages file with all
the latest packages, but I assume nothing has changed in this regard.
Particularily, the Perl and Python packages seem to include all sorts of
stuff, and I have not yet looked whether all of that is actually important
or also includes tests. At lest we copy a whole bunch of "test_xxx.py[c|o]"
files.

Shall tests and other less important stuff be stripped from the alpha
packages? The installation from an actual CD takes way too much time for my
taste. Booting is also very slow still, though I am currently investigating
some ideas to speed that up (avoiding parallel disk access in the boot
scripts).

Best regards,
-Stephan