[haiku-development] Re: Do optional packages need to include everything they do?

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 12:03:46 +0200

On 2009-09-02 at 00:09:33 [+0200], Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Michael Lotz wrote:
> > It's fixed for the most relevant case (i.e. reading nodes from the CD)
> > in r32898. Whether or not it is substantially faster I haven't tested.
> > Would be cool if you could provide updated timings to see the effect.
> >

> FYI, in r32898 the Haiku CD goes from "Continue booting" in the boot
> loader to the license window in about 1 min 6 sec; this compares
> favorably against the 1 min 30 sec that it used to take with r32871.

Sounds great! I am about to see it in action myself... :-D

> > Personally I see it exactly as the use case for that package drop down
> > in Installer. Packages like most of the development stuff (perl, gcc,
> > phyton and the like) should simply be put on the CD as a ZIP and they
> > should get an entry in that package list. These packages aren't
> > relevant for LiveCD mode really, so I don't see the benefit of having
> > them extracted. I guess we could even just reuse the current optional
> > package ZIPs, so no extra work involved in making new packages.
> >

> +1

Absolutely agreed, but for alpha 2 maybe. I'm afraid I cannot make the
time. I have some time today and then from Monday on again. Alpha 1 is
supposed to be feature frozen, so the implementation I had in mind would be
super simple and only designed to "fix the problem" of the really long copy
process.

Best regards,
-Stephan