[haiku-development] Re: Do optional packages need to include everything they do?

Hi Michael,

Michael Lotz wrote:
> It's fixed for the most relevant case (i.e. reading nodes from the CD)
> in r32898. Whether or not it is substantially faster I haven't tested.
> Would be cool if you could provide updated timings to see the effect.

FYI, in r32898 the Haiku CD goes from "Continue booting" in the boot
loader to the license window in about 1 min 6 sec; this compares
favorably against the 1 min 30 sec that it used to take with r32871.

> Personally I see it exactly as the use case for that package drop down
> in Installer. Packages like most of the development stuff (perl, gcc,
> phyton and the like) should simply be put on the CD as a ZIP and they
> should get an entry in that package list. These packages aren't
> relevant for LiveCD mode really, so I don't see the benefit of having
> them extracted. I guess we could even just reuse the current optional
> package ZIPs, so no extra work involved in making new packages.

+1

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki