[haiku-development] Re: Device Manager and USB devices?

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 18:42:37 +0100 CET

Hi Siarzhuk,

Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Last week I tried to make some "signs of life" with my work on
> porting
> usb_scsi for Haiku. But the problem is that current implementation of
> USB bus manager have nothing to do with Device Manager, heavily used
> with other projects (ahci for example) in sibling directories. I have
> tried implement reaction to *ahci_get_supported_paths call and return
> "usb" as supported bus. No other calls was performed on intefraces of
> driver_module_info callbacks. For test purposes I set the supported
> bus
> to "pci" and was called during boot with *ahci_supports_device
> function.
> But what should I look for on PCI bus in this case? :-)

Ideally for this task, the USB stack would indeed use the new driver
architecture. Since it doesn't do this, and the driver architecture is
still not at all finished, I would think it might be a good idea to add
support for the old SCSI interface to our SCSI bus manager. I guess
we'll work on that and the new driver architecture on the pre-
BeGeistert coding event in Düsseldorf.

> The Question is: How to workaround this situation - force Haiku to
> recognize usb_scsi SCSI bus module to be used as mass-storage during
> boot?

For now, I can only recommend to either add support for the old SCSI
interface to our bus manager, or wait for BeGeistert so that we can
come up with a plan on now the new driver architecture should look
like.

Bye,
   Axel.