[haiku-development] Re: Coding Style clarification/vote

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 19:52:23 +0200

On 2009-06-29 at 19:42:58 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> just a minor thing about further completing our coding style document
> (and practice):
> 1) After the license header (and eventual header guard), should there
> be one or two blank lines between the contents? I prefer two as that's
> what we use everywhere else to separate sections, but most seem to prefer
> a single blank line.
>
> 2) To call the constructors of the inherited class, and members, we
> have two different style in our repository:
> a)    Class::Class()
>         : InheritedClass(),
>         fMember()
>     {
>     }
>
> and:
> b)    Class::Class()
>         :
>         InheritedClass(),
>         fMember()
>     {
>     }
>
> I would prefer the first version, but that one only works right when we
> don't use multiple inheritance (which we do, though). Please vote, and
> whatever comes out should be used to clarify our coding style document in
> this regard.
> As a short overview my votes are:
> 1) 2
> 2) b

My votes would be the same. As an addition, I would like to propose to get
rid of the distinction between copyright in the header and copyright in the
implementation. IIRC, it's currently no blank line between copyright and
header guard but one blank line between copyright and includes in source
files. This is just arbitrary nonsense that I didn't even remember which
way around for the longest time. I'd vote to make it one blank line after
the copyright regardless of where the copyright is.

Best regards,
-Stephan