[haiku-development] Re: BFS's Lack Of Support For link() - hard links

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 08:22:15 -0200

2009/11/18 Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>:

>> Dominic was talking about handling things like queries, for example.
>> It was the user experience, not the lack of a link() implementation
>> that would not be done in time.
>
> I can't see the problem you're referring to regarding queries or the user
> experience. link() was implemented in BeOS (and is in Haiku) and worked just
> fine. At least in with my RamFS queries worked as one would expect.

One of the problems is that queries return nodes. When you have a hard
link, you have 2 (or more) entry points in the filesystem for the same
node. The nodes are converted to paths by looking at the parent and
constructing the path based on that. But what would be the correct
parent to use? Which of the entries in the fs would be used to
reconstruct the path? You may have solved it in your RamFS but for Be
to do that it would  have needed extensive testing including user
feedback, which takes time.

-Bruno