[haiku-development] Re: BFS's Lack Of Support For link() - hard links

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:31:18 +0100

On 2009-11-18 at 09:46:35 [+0100], Alexander Botero-Lowry
<alex.boterolowry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:38:41 +0100, Pier Luigi Fiorini
> <pierluigi.fiorini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > For what it's worth, it's probably time to avoid R5 compatibility on
> > some things - I know it's not scheduled until R2 but sometimes I think
> > Haiku is still cloning and old '90s OS...
> >
> > Just my 0.5 cents
> >
> +1
>
> +50 +100 +50000000000000. :)

Look, guys, I think those comments are not helpful, because you think there
is a problem where there is none. The problem is not that most Haiku core
devs are afraid of changes or nostalgic or something. You don't need to
convince any of us that Haiku can be fresh and modern and all that. But
breaking compatibility is always painful and we need to be able to afford
it. Look how painful it is when we break for example GCC4 compatibility and
all the existing packages need to be rebuilt. And here you talk about
breaking file system compatibility, let alone the potential to destabilize
one of our most crucial components that only about two of our core
developers care to touch. Give the project time to grow and all these
things will come naturally. ;-)

Best regards,
-Stephan