[haiku-development] Re: A slight can't-get-there-from-here...

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 10:01:27 +0200 CEST

pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've hit a known bug (#3690) that has sort of stopped me in my
> tracks.
> I've been using a (fat) flash-drive to transfer stuff to the
> ThinkPad,
> and it's had no trouble, but today -- having packaged up a working
> xicon
> there -- I wanted to get it *off* the machine onto the flash.
> Immediate
> KDL.  (The PANIC message was exactly the same as in the bug report.)
> BTW, I tried a few times (with a recovered flash): both a direct drag
> &drop
> and a 'cp' from the Terminal gave the same panic.

Since it's a bug in the file system, that's not surprising :-)

> As noted before, I don't have any network on the laptop, so as far as
> can see the USB-stick is my only interchange route.  I have the Haiku
> image drive, which I suppose I could write to, but I can't read that
> from Linux (can I?).  Any suggestions?  (Is this a new bug?  There's
> an older build on the machine I could try...)

The availabe Linux distros are often configured to be able to read from
BFS partitions. You could just format the stick with BFS (from within
Haiku), and then mount the partition again from Linux (you need to
specify the file system, ie. "mount -t befs -o uid=pete,gid=
users,iocharset=utf-8 /dev/sdd1" or something similar).

Bye,
   Axel.