[haiku-development] Re: A slight can't-get-there-from-here...

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 23:33:55 -0700

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 08:44:56PM -0700, Donn Cave wrote:
> Quoth pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx,
> > As noted before, I don't have any network on the laptop, so as far as I
> > can see the USB-stick is my only interchange route.  I have the Haiku
> > image drive, which I suppose I could write to, but I can't read that
> > from Linux (can I?).  Any suggestions?
>
> Is there any scratch space on a hard disk partition?  I've written
> tar archives directly to a raw disk device, to transfer stuff between
> Haiku & NetBSD on the same computer.  At that level they're the same -
> Haiku, NetBSD, Linux, all use "dd", only the names of the partition
> will be different.  I don't know anything about disk utilization in
> Linux, but if its partition isn't very full and you want to roll the
> dice, you might calculate a block address towards the upper end of
> the partition,
>
>   $ tar cf - stuff | dd of=/dev/disk/ata/2/master/3 skip=nnnnn
>
> make a note of the offset (nnnnn) and the blocks written, and reverse
> the procedure on the Linux side
>
>   $ dd if=/dev/rsd0f skip=nnnnn count=mmmm | tar xvf -

Hmm.  I gather you're talking about the case of both Haiku and Linux
being on the same machine, which isn't true in my case.  However,
I think you may have hit on a solution...

I'd guess that -- even if I can't write to a fat-fs on the flash drive,
I can probably dd to the raw drive.  The stick that I used to hold the Haiku
image is essentially scratch, so I can just use it as raw storage.
I'll give it a try (tomorrow!).

Thanks,
                        -- Pete --