[haiku-development] Re: 7zip

  • From: "scott mc" <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:42:38 -0700

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:29 AM, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I've updated ticket #2014 with instructions on how to get and make
>  > 7za, which is the all-in-one command line expander/compressor for
>  > 7zip.
>  >
>  > Supported formats:
>  >     * Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
>  >     * Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, MSI, WIM, Z,
>  > CPIO,
>  > RPM, DEB and NSIS
>
>  Beware, we do *not* want to use it for zip, because as said, our zip
>  has a custom extention to handle xattrs, so we'd loose that.
>
>  Unless someone sends them a diff adding the same xattr support on 7z of
>  course.
>  (btw it has some limitations anyway on the attribute size, I recall
>  hitting it once with an SVG icon in zeta...)
>
>  François.

Correct.  And as stated in the README file that comes with 7-zip:

CAUTION :
---------

- FIRST : DO NOT USE the 7-zip format for backup purpose on Linux/Unix because :
  - 7-zip does not store the owner/group of the file

  On Linux/Unix, in order to backup directories you must use tar !
  to backup a directory  : tar cf - directory | 7za a -si directory.tar.7z
  to restore your backup : 7za x -so directory.tar.7z | tar xf -

- if you want to send files and directories (not the owner of file)
  to others Unix/MacOS/Windows users, you can use the 7-zip format.

  example : 7za a directory.7z  directory

  do not use "-r" because this flag does not do what you think
  do not use directory/* because of ".*" files
   (example : "directory/*" does not match "directory/.profile")