[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Who here would be interested in a WalterCon sometime 2017?

  • From: Dennis Catt <dcatt.haiku@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 18:56:44 -0400

Haiku devs,

I was wondering if there was enough interest in holding a WalterCon sometime next year on the east coast in the US? I could get a space for free that could hold around 20-30 folks that is utilized for crowd-sourced projects and is managed by a friend of mine. Obviously the only thing required from attendees is them getting themselves here and finding a place to stay and I could probably figure out how to get some discounts at a famous Pizzeria in town since my best friend owns it and we all know geeks love pizza ;-)

I think the perfect date time for holding a WalterCon is around the opposite part of the year from BeGeistert so folks who want to take advantage of both don't feel the pinch.

I would obviously have to get this approved by the leaders of the Haiku project since they'd need to give it an official blessing and at least give us some sort of material support (not financially speaking). I think the best approach is to start small and grow WalterCon organically as Haiku gets closer and closer to the R1 'stable' release.

Let's have an active yet productive discussion about this.

-DCatt