[guispeak] Collections of programming documentation available as plain text

  • From: "Jamal Mazrui" <Jamal.Mazrui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:20:47 -0500

In recent years, I have converted various documentation files to plain
text for several Windows programming languages, most of which have not
been available on my Empowerment Zone web site.  I have now made an
effort to gather and post these files in several archived compilations
listed below.

A set of plain text files in a folder is often more usable to me than
documentation in other file formats such as HLP, CHM, or PDF.  The small
size of plain text compared to more visually-oriented formatting also
facilitates the efficient storage and transfer of large amounts of

To aid recollection of the direct download addresses for these
compilations, they are all lower case and consist of the following
parts:  the http://www.empowermentzone.com/ path, a language
abbreviation, version abbreviation, doc (for documentation), and the
.zip extension.  The files within a ZIP archive may have long names and
mixed case.  Before the download address is a synopsis of the
distinguishing role of that language in my programming endeavors.

I hope this effort increases access to programming knowledge for some.
Feel free to share with others who may benefit.

Jamal Mazrui
February 17, 2005

WinBatch from www.winbatch.com
for quick and flexible system utilities

VBScript (Visual Basic Scripting Edition) from www.microsoft.com
for system utilities, forms in Microsoft Outlook, and scripts in
Internet Explorer

VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) from www.microsoft.com
for COM automation macros in Microsoft Office applications, including
Word, Excel, and PowerPoint

Xbase++ from www.alaska-software.com
for database applications drawing on the dBASE language and file format

PowerBasic from www.powerbasic.com
for fast and compact programs

Visual Basic .NET and ADO .NET
for general applications and database operations

NoteTab clip language from www.notetab.com
for text editing operations

JAWS scripting language from www.freedomscientific.com
for screen reader access