[guide.chat] Tennis

  • From: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 09:59:06 +0100

Defending champion Petra Kvitova and four-time champion Serena Williams
experienced contrasting fortunes during their progress to the fourth round.
Williams survived a scare, coming back from a set down to complete a 6-7 (5-7)
6-2 9-7 win over China's Jie Zheng.
It was far easier for Kvitova who eased through with a 6-1 6-0 victory over
American Varvara Lepchenko.
Ana Ivanovic, the 14th seed, beat Julia Goerges of Germany 3-6 6-3 6-4 and will
meet second seed Victoria Azarenka .
History made at Wimbledon .
Yaroslava Shvedova became the first female player to achieve a golden set when
her opponent, 10th seed Sara Errani, failed to win a point in the opening set.
Australian Open champion Azarenka, last year's semi-finalist, beat Slovakia's
Jana Cepelova 6-3 6-3, although she will be disappointed to have secured just
five of 12 break points.
There was a first at Wimbledon as Kazakh wildcard Yaroslava Shvedova made
history by achieving a golden set against French Open finalist Sara Errani ,
who failed to win a point in the first set and eventually fell 6-0 6-4.
Shvedova must now prepare to meet sixth seed Williams, who described her match
against 25th seed Zheng as "tough".
The American stumbled in the first-set tie-break, but romped through the second
set before coming out on top in a nail-biting decider after two hours and 28
minutes on Centre Court.
"I thought in the third set, if I'm going to go out I want to go out with a
bang," said Williams, whose powerful serve saw her through.
"I'm just fighting everything, she's playing unbelievable on grass so I'm just
doing the best I can."
Match stats.
Williams Zheng
Fastest serve
First serves
Unforced errors
Break points
Net pts
Kvitova, who has lost just 13 games in three matches, hit 15 winners, her
powerful play forcing her opponent into 38 errors.
"I feel better every match that I'm playing here," said 22-year-old Kvitova,
who has yet to drop a set in the tournament.
The Czech said she would play "aggressively" against her next opponent
Francesca Schiavone , who beat Klara Zakopalova 6-0 6-4.
"Francesca can play very well on the grass with a good slice from the backhand.
We played twice already this year on clay and hard court so we're just missing
the grass, so it's time for this.
"I think she can play very well, she has a good volley, so I think she will
play aggressively going to the net."
Austria's Tamira Paszek , who defeated former world number one Caroline
Wozniacki in the first round, also progressed with a 2-6 7-6 (7-4) 7-5 win over
Yanina Wickmayer of Belgium.