[guide.chat] Re: Annoying us about working

  • From: Leslie Fairall <fairall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: guide chat <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 18:39:52 -0500 (EST)

Hi Vanessa:

Sounds like you started work early. You've got a lot of skills so that's in our favor.

Unemployment among blind people is common both in America and the UK. However, there may be some differences because we have laws that require job labs and sites to be accessible. That doesn't mean we still don't have problems though. I work in a government building where the elevator doesn't talk and the buttons cannot be reached by wheelchair users. In America, there is a program called vocational rehabilitation that assists disabled people with education, adaptive equipment, and employment assistance. Some agencies for the blind train you for certain positions. However, we still have the old problem of discrimination in the hiring process, but it is very difficult to prove. You just have to keep moving on.