[guide.chat] Annoying us about working

  • From: "vanessa pugh" <shannon17@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 11:02:47 -0000

thanks to all who have the same experience about being disabled and trying to
get a job, I started work with a saturday job in a pet shop when aged 14,
worked  full time until my kids came along then worked part time until my
youngest was  at secondary school when I went back to work full time, did all
sorts of work, at the local hospitals, shops and when part time did work at the
primary school where my kids went, anything to bring in the money, learned to
drive as was still sighted and did some lorry driving in the holidays so that
my kids could come with me, did evening classes to get more qualifications ,
never liked a dull moment in life, my last job was for an engineering firm who
did work for the army, my last working day was the  middle of March 1998,
within 6 months was totally blind but once my head got used to the idea then
got on with life, went to a local college and learned to use a computer with
talking software, hate to be bored and later on went to Manor House where I met
Steve, did some work while there, more computer work, learned braille and
practised some engineering and office skills, in January 2001 had an interview
at the job centre and was told as a total blindie would not be expected to work
so just go away and don't bother, nearly 11 years later they suddenly want us
to go to work, luckily have got more qualifications and still do office work
for our blind group, my local job centre have no accessable computers for us to
type up a job cv, no computers with keys as they all have touch screens, so do
the phones that they ask you to use, in other words they have no idea of our
needs  and they don't seem to care, all they want is to get numbers so that
they look good with the government, I have a nephew aged 25 who has a degree
from a university, he has applied for over 1,000  jobs but they say he has too
much experience for shop work or other low paid work, what does the government
want, young, fully trained people , men and women who have kids to llook after
who need jobs can't get them so what hope do we have , that lady at Carol's
meeting was right to ask what would happen to our benefits if we got a job,
many of us have more than 1 disability so where do we end up, who is going to
employ me after nearly 14 years, aged 54, even with life experience there is
nothing out there for me, let the ministers live on our limited benefits and
see how difficult life is as a disabled person but they wouldn't have the
bottle to try to live like they make us do, better go and calm down ha ha, time
for coffee, Vanessa, Steve and Scott x x