[greenbuild] Re: Introduction re: bioregion

  • From: "joel gagnon" <joelpgagnon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 10:31:48 -0400

I'm afraid that the term "bioregion" may be less than useful to us. When I
asked my wife (a PhD Ecologist) what bioregion she would say we are in, she
replied "the eastern deciduous forest". That is larger than New York State,
you will no doubt notice.

Part of Tompkins County is outside of the Cayuga Lake drainage (draining
south to the Susquehanna), and the Cayuga Lake drainage includes a lot of
area with little tie to Tompkins County. While these  distinctions are
biologically meaningful, they are not especially useful in defining a green
building forum's reach. The relevance of a particular technology (or
methodology if you prefer) will depend more on the specific site parameters
than on bioregion, coupled with a short list of general parameters that are
more geographic than biological in origin, such as climate zone and
insolation. I suggest that we use our collective expertise to shed light on
whatever problem or project comes before us, while simply acknowledging that
we are based in the Ithaca area and primarily interested in what happens
here.

Joel Gagnon