[gptalk] Re: WMI Filter to exclude Servers

  • From: Thorbjörn Sjövold <thorbjorn.sjovold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:07:53 +0200

Omar,

The way WMI filters works are pretty simple, although troubleshooting them are
not ;) If the result of the WQL query returns 1 or more objects then this is
interpreted as true, i.e. the GPO will be applied, if no objects are returned
it means false and the GPO will not be applied.

If you want to hit everything but Windows 2003 Server (including R2 servers)
use the following locale independent query:

SELECT * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem WHERE BuildNumber != "3790"

If you still want to use wildcards in your WQL you need to use the LIKE
operator and the wildcard character %. Since you want the go all the way on
this bumpy WQL ride and exclude and not include the servers you need to use the
NOT operator ^, see below for an example. If you want to make it even more
hardcore you can use OR/AND in the where clause.

The following would hit everything but servers:

SELECT * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem WHERE Caption LIKE "%[^Server]%"

I know that Darren have a tool on gpoguy.com that can you can use to test WQL
queries, I have not tested myself but my guess since it comes from Darren that
is works great. Otherwise you are stuck with the built-in WBEMTEST, a tool that
isn't really a tribute to the MS GUI team :)

Hope it helps.

Best,
Thorbjörn Sjövold
Special Operations Software
www.specopssoft.com
thorbjorn.sjovold a t specopssoft.com

Download our free tool for remote Gpupdate with graphical reporting,
http://www.specopssoft.com/products/specopsgpupdate/default.asp