[gptalk] WMI Filter to exclude Servers

  • From: "Omar Droubi" <omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:48:48 -0700

Hello all,

I have a question:

My current client does not have a great OU structure and we need to
implement a GPO that updates settings on workstations only.

I haven't used WMI filters too much so I have 2 questions:

1. does the results of the WMI filter exclude those objects or does it
include the objects?

2. Can someone help me with the syntax? I was starting with something like "
Select * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem WHERE caption <> "Windows Server 2003"

My issue is how do I write the select statement to include all of my OS
names and how can I tell it to use a wild card like "Windows Server*"

Thanks,

Omar