[gptalk] Re: Using GP to block certain websites

  • From: "Nelson, Jamie" <Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:53:18 -0500

This question comes up a lot. You can do some rudimentary filtering with
GP for Internet Explorer by modifying the Content Ratings in IE
Maintenance Policy (under User Configuration > Windows Settings)
however,  this is a poor approach to say the least.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do natively in GP for Mozilla
browsers (wouldn't make sense for Microsoft to promote the use of a
competing product). There is, however, a FirefoxADM project on
SourceForge.net that allows you to control  quite a bit of Firefox
configuration via GP, although I don't know if you can do any kind of
website blocking. I haven't used it in quite a while.

Your best bet is to use a proxy server/content filter in your network
and block sites at that level. There are lots of free ones out there,
but my favorites are Squid/DansGuardian. They come pre-installed in
SmoothWall Express, which is a free Linux based firewall appliance
capable of supporting small to medium sized businesses. All you need is
a semi-decent piece of equipment to install it on and you'll be blocking
websites in no time.

Regards,

Jamie Nelson | Infrastructure Consultant | BI&T Operations | Devon
Energy | Work: 405.552.8054 | http://www.dvn.com <http://www.dvn.com/>