[gptalk] Re: Password Policy

  • From: "Cruz, Jerome L" <jerome.l.cruz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 14:25:48 -0700

From a Domain perspective, password policy settings essentially apply the new
settings when the passwords are "changed". For example, say you have a "Maximum
password age" set to 90 days (3 months). You then enable the "Password must
meet complexity requirements" setting. At that point all users "changing"
passwords will have to use complex password as the passwords are cycled for
each user over the next 3 months. It'll take three months to apply. Also, your
user account (usually service accounts) which may never expire will never be
switched to using a complex password.

We have over 150,000+ users and made a similar switch recently. No issues. All
End User accounts are now switched and did so a bit at a time daily as they
expired.

Jerry