[gptalk] Re: Password Policy

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:14:06 -0700

Are you trying to apply password policy to a domain user or a local user
account on a workstation or member server? Password policy, as you've
noticed, does not apply to users. IT applies only to computers where the
accounts reside. In the case of domain user accounts (i.e. held in AD), you
can only set one password policy for a given domain and that must be in a
GPO linked at the domain level. For local user accounts-those housed on
member servers and workstations, you have to make sure that the GPO is
linked to those containers where those computers reside, not the users.