[gptalk] Re: Group Policy Setting to Configurate a Enterprise Power Scheme for XP SP2 workstations

  • From: <bart.schillebeeks@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:18:12 +0100

Use Desktopstandards free tool called "registry extension" to capture
the settings on your local machine and apply them through gpo.

You've got an added bonus then of removing the settings if the user
falls out of scope of the gpo.

Vriendelijke groeten,
Cordialement,
Kind Regards,
Schillebeeks Bart
Active Directory Security Consultant
Small and Departmental Systems - NT Systems Fortis Bank
Bart.schillebeeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
AD Internet Consulting BVBA

Disclaimer:
except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised
to state them to be the views of any such entity.This Message is in no
way legally binding and has to be viewed as a personal opinion of the
sender. This message reflects in no way the views of FORTIS BANK and its
associates and AD internet Consulting BVBA and its associates. Unless
otherwise stated, any pricing information given in this message is
indicative only, is subject to change and does not constitute an offer
to deal at any price quoted. Any reference to the terms of executed
transactions should be treated as preliminary only and subject to our
formal written confirmation.

AD Internet Consulting BVBA, Hezemeer 7, 2430 Eindhout-Laakdal
ON:0470419019 www.adinternet.com mailto:Sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Hi John,
>

> I have not done this myself, but I know it is not possible to manage
via a
> simple ADM file because the settings are buried in binary records.
However,
> I have the following note from Mathieu CHATEAU who answered a similar
> question here last year:-
>

> -Install a small Msi to all computers, EZ-GPO.msi -Use the ADM from
EZ-GPO

<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml>

<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml>
> &f=adm_summary.shtml
>

> Policy Log Reporter(Free)
>
> http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir

<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=policyreporter.shtm
l>
> &f=policyreporter.shtml

configuration
> power
>
> management option for 40K XP SP2 workstations. I've attached the
spreed
> sheet
>
> that I use to check for various policy settings and could not find
one.

> Google turned uip that if I was running vista, I could go green from
group

> policy.
>

> The thought I have is to create a custom adm file to configure the
following
> reg
>
> keys
>

> HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\PowerCfg with reg_sz being 0
>

> Standby detection threshold values (for the system, monitor, hard
> disk-System
>
> hibernates, Turn off monitor, Turn off hard disks fields,
respectively)

> HKCU\Control Panel\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies\n\Policies
>
> Then I could have to capture the correct Binary-encoded parameters for
the

> settings that I want.
>

> I'm also sure there would be a way to script this and make a wmi call,
>
> configure the settings.  Does anyone know of or have a adm file that
will

> control the power manage option to turn off a monitor and spin down a
hard
> drive
>
> and a xp sp2 workstation? Or a better way to do the same thing?
>

> Thanks for any help you can give me. --John

OR by
> logging into the freelists.org Web interface. Archives for the list
are
> available at //www.freelists.org/archives/gptalk/

Fortis disclaimer :
http://www.fortis.be/legal/disclaimer.htm

Privacy policy related to banking activities of Fortis:
http://www.fortisbank.be/legal/privacy_policy.htm