[gptalk] GPO's and Office 2007

  • From: "Robert Mariani" <rmariani@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 11:34:58 +1100 (EST)

Hi Everyone.
   Well I recently got my 70 licenses of Office 2007 and was
keen to build a test delpoyment.  I found the Office Resource Kit on the Technet
website and started reading.  To my amasement AD GPO is not the prefered way to
delpoy this package.....

MS have moved away from traditional MSI and MST
files for O2K7.  The Office Customisation Tool (OCT) creates a MSP file but the
use
is not in the traditional sense of patching an admin install.

There is a way
to deploy O2k7 by GPO but bugger all configurable to say the most.  The
config.xml
is a pain to get working has extreemly limited capabilites.

My question to
the group is, has anyone sucessfully deployed this package in testing or
production via
AD GPO and applied the msp customisations?

Ohh and two more
things...
   1.  The O2K7 install does not finish before the
user logs in - and from what i have read if the first user to log in after the
depoyment
does not have local admin rights to the pc the install fails - i am yet to test
this but i deploy apps with "Elevated privideges" for the GPO so this may
not happen
   2.  I noticed that there were office ADM templates for
GPO configurations.  Would my best option be to install an uncustomised
deployment
and then use the ADM templates for config?

Regards
Rob....