[gptalk] Re: GPO's and Office 2007

  • From: "Robert Mariani" <rmariani@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 12:33:53 +1100 (EST)

Hopefully someone will find a way!

Anyway if System Center Essentials is a freebie like WSUS - i would consider
using it
since we are only 70 users -

Regards
Rob

On Thu, December 7, 2006 12:17 pm, Michael Pietrzak said:

Hi
Robert,

did try to use that line in the config.xml to reference the MSP but seemed to
have no
effect as I configured the MSP to not install Groove, OneNote and InfroPath but
yet they
were all still isntalled.

Yeah, it is pretty damn frustrating. Looks as if MS is pushing more and more
people to SMS and the new System Center Essentials (scaled down SMS)

Perhaps Darren or Omar will get a chance to test this process and they will
have more insight for us.

Let
us know if you find anything out Rob.

Michael

Date: 7/12/2006
Time: 9:59:31 AM

User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Failed to apply changes to
software installation settings. Software changes could not be applied. A
previous log
entry with details should exist. The error was : Fatal error during
installation.

Although the entry in the event
viewer imediatly previous to this was

Event Type: Information
Event
Source: Application Management
Event Category: None
Event ID: 302
Date: 7/12/2006
Time: 9:59:30 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:
PCITADMIN
The install of application Microsoft Office
Professional Plus 2007 from policy Office 2007 Depolyment (Mel) succeeded.

Once i log on a whole raft more
of MSIInstaler events - pretty much one for every component of office s
generated.

If MS can make the AD use their new "bells and whistles" setup.exe as
well as normal msi installs it would certainly help..

Ohh and a side
note - i also tried to deploy Windows Instant Search and what do you know - no
MSI for
deployment... only .exe's

Rob

On Thu, December 7, 2006 11:57 am, Michael Pietrzak said:

Shoot, sorry. I seem to have repeated a couple of the same points you made. One
big problem I am also seeing is that the 2007 deployments won't upgrade\remove
the
existing Office install. You can log in and find both the 2003 and the 2007
install
sitting there side by side.

Comedy.

Michael