[gpsbug] Re: Pagan River Challenge

  • From: John Perry <wndsr4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: j.wandling@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 20:39:19 -0400

What a wonderful race!  Today really served up a handful of wind to make
this a real challenge, but the handicapping worked out just perfectly
with the first three boats finishing nearly bow to stern across the
finish line!  Gotcha certainly is grateful for the invitation--hope we
can join in for more later.

Now for the story as to why we didn't do better other than the filthy
bottom from a year's idle time in the slip.  On the run out the channel
just past the green mark at Jones Creek entrance I got BOOMED on the
side of the head as the main jibed while I was not watching.  Let me
tell you, that piece of aluminum packs a wallop for sure.  Of course the
sunglasses went overboard, but I very nearly did as well.  It put me
down on my knees with a major string of expletives cut loose to prove
what a sailor I am, I guess.  Now, I'm nursing a splitting headache and
a nice goose egg on my cheekbone.

Of course that's not why we got slowed down--it was the 30 seconds we
spent aground after that little incident that kept us out of the
winner's seat!  Oh, well----maybe next time and you can bet that my crew
and I will be keeping our heads down in the future!

More Sailing.
John Perry