[gps-talkusers] Re: manual route problem

  • From: Charles LaPierre <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 18:55:51 -0700

Sure thing Hope.

Force Sequential route following basically does what it says, but it also depends on what mode you are in, detailed vs turns only.

The normal case you would have this turned on is when you have created a manual route and you want to make sure you hit every waypoint before the system automatically detects that you may have skipped some waypoints (usually do to GPS error) and then moves you along the route.

So for example you are heading to Waypoint #10, you actually physically reach waypoint #10 in your route but the GPS is off some 80 feet so it "thinks" you haven't reached this waypoint yet. Then you continue on your way towards waypoint #11. If you have Force sequential route following turned on it won't automatically bypass waypoint #10 and start guiding you to waypoint #11, but force you to backtrack to waypoint #10. That is why you normally want this feature turned off, so that when the system does detect you have passed a waypoint without reaching it, the system will not force you backwards but automatically advance you along the route. (now that also assumes you have automatic route following turned on.) What should happen is the system should say something like skipped X number of waypoints and advance you along the route.

Now you may be asking yourself, well why would I ever want to have this Force Sequential route following turned on? The answer is simple, if you create a manual route, or for that matter it could be an automatic route which loops upon itself you don't want to bypass a complete section of the route when you get to where the paths cross.

For example you have a route which does a figure eight, and if you have Force sequential route following turned off once you reach the intersection point it will skip all the waypoints at the top of the figure eight and jump you down to the bottom of the figure eight, but you missed going along that top part of your route, which you may have to do in order to continue, ie, maybe the top part of the route actually is a ramp you must go up and over in order to physically get to the rest of your route, if you don't follow that section of your route you won't be able to complete the rest of your route. This is a user case where you will want to have force sequential route following turned on.

You will know when to turn this on when you try to follow the route and when you get to a spot in your route where the route loops back upon itself it will tell you that it has skipped all those waypoints and start guiding you to the rest of your route without you physically travelling the part of the route before the loop back. If that happens then you want to turn on force sequential route following, and maybe even set the system to Details (i.e. All waypoints) not just turns, so you make sure you hit every waypoint along your route, and don't skip any.

Hope this helps clarify when you would want to turn on force sequential route following.

Charles.

At 06:12 PM 10/17/2007, you wrote:
Charles, could you describe what exactly is sequential route following?
I have mine on too, but don't know what it is do didn't  want to turn it
off.

Hope and Beignet. P.S.; listened to the audio file of Mike and you on
the sky screamer. You're much braver than I am, and I was impressed with
the gps.