[gps-talkusers] Re: gps and guide dogs.

  • From: "Raul A. Gallegos" <raul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:37:57 -0500

The Voice Sense is a very small note taker and it will soon have the Sendero GPS available for it. You do have to carry it around with you, and it really is best to use a shoulder strap, but it is very light and many of the same commands that a Braille note user is used to will work with the Voice Sense. In addition to the similar commands, we've added our own dialogs when changing various settings to the program.

Gerry Leary said the following on 11/15/2007 12:44 AM:
Oh yes, I know that the Sendero system is much more refined. I just don't have the money to buy it, And I don't like carrying things over my shoulder. The thing that I like about the Trekker is that I can have a Bluetooth earphone and a Bluetooth receiver in my pocket and the main PDA in my other pocket. So there are no wires and no straps. I would much rather have the Sendero system because it is much more advanced in many ways, but I don't want a Braillenote. Gerry
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Chao" <g.unit89@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Gerry Leary" <lgerry3@xxxxxxxxx
To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:11:21 -0700

Hello Alex,

I don't think that using a GPS would make any difference to the
dogs.  I do
use both, but I use a different system then is spoken about on
this list.
The only reason I use a different system is because when I bought
mine, I
didn't have the money for the Sendero system.  I also use a Guide
Dog, and I
don't have much trouble.  The only trouble that I have is that
when my
system locks up or I need to use both hands to press more then 1
key I need
to stop walking so that I can put the harness down to use both
hands for GPS
work.  Otherwise having GPS helps me a lot because I can let the
system
verify my where abouts and concentrate more on working with my
dog.
From: "Gerry Leary" <lgerry3@xxxxxxxxx
To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:39:47 -0700

The dog might go faster if it looks like a Squirrel or Rabbit.