[gps-talkusers] Re: e: My Latest Experience with GPS

  • From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:54:33 -0700

So what are they doing with the extra channels? Could you explain if it's not off topic a little on how the number of channels improves the functionality. Do the birds broadcast more data on more channels or what's the deal?:) What does 12 do and what does 20 offer that 12 doesn't and 32? Thanks!

Thanks

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Chao" <g.unit89@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joleen <cjferg@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 18:08:36 -0700
Subject: [gps-talkusers] My Latest Experience with GPS

Hi All,

Let me share my latest experience with GPS.

Yesterday I was traveling to a camp site where my driver had forgotten
to bring his map.

With a sense that I could be of real help, I took out my GPS and
created a route from Yakima to Camp Ghormley.  I was able to give
directions.  At one point, we turned onto a gravel road.  It turned
out to be a very poor road with wash-out areas.  After traveling
several miles on this "path" my BN announced that we had arrived!
Where were we?  No where!  The camp was not anywhere around there.

With my hopes dashed, we turned around and made  our way back to the
road more traveled.  Eventually we found the right turn and I put a
user POI at the camp entrance.

My bad luck again.  The actual camp entrance was 3.48 miles from the
GPS location.  After this and previous experiences, I now am shy of
using my GPS to do any navigation for others.

Still eager to make GPS work for me, I took time to fire it up as I
was shown from the cabin to the main lodge.  Confident that I had
learned well how to create a manual route, I set out.  I put in a
series of way points along the trail.  All seemed well.
However, after dinner and when it was dark, I found someone else who
was also staying in my cabin.  She was not sure of the direction.
Again, I suggested that my GPS could help us in the dark.  I started
it up and had to pair the receiver due to a spontaneous BN crash and
reset earlier in the afternoon.
Eventually I was successful in getting the BN and receiver to see each
other.  Then there was a long wait for a fix.  My friend remained
patient.  Eventually there was success.  Now, all I had to do was to
reverse the route.  All I could get from it was that I could not
recalculate the route.  It was only after I gave up and followed her
guesses that we made our way to the cabin.
There, I worked with it until I realized that I had probably exited
the main lodge at a door different from the one I had set as a way point.
Both doors would have been on the same side of the building, but I
suspect that they were more than 30 feet apart.

One more try.  When I was ready to come home, all I needed was to get
my luggage from the cabin.  My driver had not been to the cabin and
there seemed to be no one to ask.  Again, I tried my GPS.  This time,
I knew it could help because I had a user POI.
It must have taken ten minutes to acquire a fix.  Meanwhile, We got
into the car and he drove around trying to spot the cabin.
As we pulled up to it, my GPS announced that we had arrived.  It was
too late to be of any benefit this time.  He had seen the sign far
earlier than the GPS.

I am afraid my GPS is becoming a source of great humor.  No one will
trust it.  I am afraid that in my circumstances, I have little
confidence that it can be relied upon for much of anything.

I am grateful that Tele Atlas is looking at the major discrepancies in
my home town.  However, the wilderness areas of Washington state also
seem to be questionable as my trips to two different camp sites in
very different parts of the state have both yielded errors of 3.5 miles.

Trying to be enthusiastic about my GPS.

Joleen