[gps-talkusers] Re: Traveling in Manhattan

  • From: "rosemary teehan" <rateehan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:49:25 -0400

Hi Eric,
NYC is very organized, at least in the Manhattan area. I don't know it that
well, but the numbered avenues run north/south and the numbered streets run
east/west.  I could have this reversed, but your gps will tell you if that's
the case.  It is usually quite crowded in Manhattan, so while I think you
should rely on your own judgment as to when to cross the streets, you can take
cues from other pedestrians when they are crossing them.  You can also ask
other pedestrians when necessary.  Because it is so crowded, cars usually stop
and go when they are directed to by the lights.
Although I don't live there, I visit the city sometimes, and haven't found it
that difficult to navigate.  I'm pretty sure that you'll also find this is the
case when you arrive.  It's maybe just the anxiety of traveling in a less
familiar area that's daunting you a bit.
HTH.
Rosemary