[gps-talkusers] Traveling in Manhattan

  • From: "Eric Brinkman" <eric.brinkman1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:29:26 -0400

Hi,

I have had Sense Nav for about six months now, but I haven't been able to
spend as much time with it as I would've liked.  In less than a week, I will
be traveling to Manhattan, and I would like to use Sense Nav to help get
around the area.  I brought my Voice Sense with me to NYC once before, but
didn't get much out of the GPS, probably because I hadn't had enough
experience with it.

I have only walked outside with the GPS a couple of times.  The other day I
walked around town but, as I said in a previous post, the direction of POIs
was often announced incorrectly.  What would you suggest I do to become more
proficient with the system before my trip?

Another concern I have which isn't related to GPS is crossing streets.  I
know I mentioned this once before but didn't get many responses.  I had
mobility training for many years, and I'm ok with crossing streets at home
in Connecticut and here in Poughkeepsie.  However the huge amount of traffic
in New York City makes me afraid of being run over when crossing streets
alone.  What is the best way to know when it is safe to cross?  Is there
another list or forum to discuss issues like this?

Thanks in advance,

Eric