[gps-talkusers] Re: Searching POIs

  • From: Chris Grabowski <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 13:54:05 -0500

Hi,
Try changing the category to medical service.

It is better to search by category instead of using the all category as
the search needs to go through all POIs and as you saw can take a while.

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 13:36:20 -0500
"Amy Bower" <abower@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi - First off, I want to apologize if my questions are naive or constantly
> addressed in this list. I'm new to the list, and new to Mobile GEO. I'm more
> or less teaching myself how to use it, with the help of online users guide
> and some audio demos on the Sendero Group and Code Factory web sites. I've
> come a long way, but still struggling with searching for POIs efficiently.
> Here is an example of a problem:
>
> I'm sitting with my HP iPAQ Glisten in Cape Cod, Mass. I'm planning a trip
> to Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary in Boston. I want to plan ahead, so I want to
> find the POI for Mass Eye and Ear and bookmark it somehow or put it in my
> user POIs so I can access it quickly while en route. I'm finding that trying
> to do searches while you are standing on a busy noisy street doesn't work
> very well.
>
> What I've tried:
> (1) Functions -> Search -> Advanced search gets me to the search conditions
> screen. I put in the string some part of the name of Mass Eye and Ear (like
> the word Eye). I search by name, and leave everything else as default. When
> I search, no matches. Am I right that so far, I have only searched within
> 0.25 miles of my current location? Expanding the search will only increase
> the raidus in increments of 0.25 miles?
>
> (2) OK. So then I play with the "starting distance" field. I make it 50
> miles. I know the Mass Eye and Ear is more than 50 miles from my current
> position. I search again. I get one match for something 51 miles away but it
> is not what I want. There are no other matches. Now what?
>
> I saw a reference to a starting and ending search radius in the online users
> guide, but I don't see (hear) ending distance as an option in the search
> conditions screen.
>
> When I have been successful finding other POIs, I haven't found a way to
> bookmark them or copy them to my users POI list. Apparently you cannot edit
> the 'user POI' property on an official POI to say 'yes' instead of 'no',
> even though the manual says you can edit POI properties.
>
> I won't bore you any more with my travails...if someone could point me to an
> online resource for working with POIs, or if someone is willing to give me
> some tips off-list, I'd be very grateful.
>
> On the steep part of the learning curve,
> Amy B.
>
> To change your email settings (unsubscribe, digest only, or vacation mode):
> http://senderogroup.com/social_media/email.htm
>
> Additionally, to unsubscribe send an email to
> gps-talkusers-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unsubscribe" in the Subject.

Sendero Group
Distributors and developers of Sendero GPS for 6 platforms,
BrailleNote, BrailleSense, Pac Mate, Windows PC, iPhone and Mobile Geo for
Windows phones. Also, distributing Trekker Breeze, Victor Stream,
KNFB Reader Mobile, Talks, Mobile Speak, Miniguide and ID Mate.