[gps-talkusers] Searching POIs

  • From: "Amy Bower" <abower@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 13:36:20 -0500

Hi - First off, I want to apologize if my questions are naive or constantly
addressed in this list. I'm new to the list, and new to Mobile GEO. I'm more
or less teaching myself how to use it, with the help of online users guide
and some audio demos on the Sendero Group and Code Factory web sites. I've
come a long way, but still struggling with searching for POIs efficiently.
Here is an example of a problem:

I'm sitting with my HP iPAQ Glisten in Cape Cod, Mass. I'm planning a trip
to Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary in Boston. I want to plan ahead, so I want to
find the POI for Mass Eye and Ear and bookmark it somehow or put it in my
user POIs so I can access it quickly while en route. I'm finding that trying
to do searches while you are standing on a busy noisy street doesn't work
very well.

What I've tried:
(1) Functions -> Search -> Advanced search gets me to the search conditions
screen. I put in the string some part of the name of Mass Eye and Ear (like
the word Eye). I search by name, and leave everything else as default. When
I search, no matches. Am I right that so far, I have only searched within
0.25 miles of my current location? Expanding the search will only increase
the raidus in increments of 0.25 miles?

(2) OK. So then I play with the "starting distance" field. I make it 50
miles. I know the Mass Eye and Ear is more than 50 miles from my current
position. I search again. I get one match for something 51 miles away but it
is not what I want. There are no other matches. Now what?

I saw a reference to a starting and ending search radius in the online users
guide, but I don't see (hear) ending distance as an option in the search
conditions screen.

When I have been successful finding other POIs, I haven't found a way to
bookmark them or copy them to my users POI list. Apparently you cannot edit
the 'user POI' property on an official POI to say 'yes' instead of 'no',
even though the manual says you can edit POI properties.

I won't bore you any more with my travails...if someone could point me to an
online resource for working with POIs, or if someone is willing to give me
some tips off-list, I'd be very grateful.

On the steep part of the learning curve,
Amy B.