[gps-talkusers] GPS, what does it mean was Re: Re: GPS not indicating direction properly

  • From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:45:11 -0700

Flor and Kevin, I think you're both right but GPS to me is a lot more as well. While it's a definite solid tool in ones way finding tool chest, I think some of the other features, especially the POI aspects are a lot more interesting. Being able to "look around" or find out what's going on around you just outside your abilities is amazing. For example, I walk to a lunch spot I really enjoy at least once a week. Sure I know where the lunch spot is but for the first time two weeks ago when I made that trip with GPS I realized there's an A1 storage, Sony electronics and several other businesses on the way. I feel more connected to that route now so in my own mind instead of thinking ok I walk down past that big building thingy and hang a left now I think, ok I walk past A1 storage and hang a left towards north 1st street. If that's not enough the car possibilities are just as exciting. We don't discuss that as much on this list but it was huge for me on our travels last weekend to be able to perceive what types of businesses we were traveling by. I could participate in lunch selection as an example and had the same sign / local information that the sited folks in the car had. When we reached our destination (the Gilroy Garlic Festival) unlike my sited companions I wasn't hindered by the bad signage. While they were trying to figure out where the park was from the parking location I simply noticed that Christmas Hill (the center of the park) was 875 feet in front of me at 10 o'clock. We decided to follow the GPS and nailed our destination. My point is that not only are navigation and way finding clear winners but my ability to interact with my companions is enhanced greatly. It's just cool as hell! By no means a magic bullet but definitely a groovie tool to have.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Flor Lynch" <florlync@xxxxxx>