[gps-talkusers] Re: GPS on the BUS

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:22:35 -0400

Yah, I guess they would frown on any passenger who did manage to open a
window!! :)

That is exactly what the maker of the chip used in the EarthMate (SiRF)
claims; that is, if you get a good fix using 4 or more satellites; it
will maintain it with as few as 2 satellites afterwards.

I have a relatively new vehicle, and it indeed does have the metalic
coating used for window tinting, on the sunroof and the rear windows,
but not on the front and 2 front/side windows, so I have to sit in the
front passenger seat to use my EarthMate.

One other thing worth mentioning; standing still while obtaining your
original coldstart fix will yield a fix *much* quicker than trying to
get one while moving (say in a bus).  This may improve matters somewhat
as you suggest if you stand still outside the bus first to get a good
fix, and then board.

Hth,

Chip

=20