[gps-talkusers] GPS and Mobility in general was Re: Re: Traveling in Manhattan

  • From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:12:42 -0700

Along these same lines I have a question.
    I've recently (as in with in the last few weeks) become a GPS user myself.
While it's an absolutely amazing break through for me it's helped me realize
just how much my mobility skills suck.;)  I grew up in an area fairly far
outside any large cities so some of the more complex travel tasks I haven't
been exposed to other than on a few one off instances.  That and I tend to buy
my way out of mobility challenges  (there I said it!).  So, can someone (on or
off list to stay on topic) provide me some good pointers for Mobility training,
specifically in the south bay of the SF bay area?  (I'm a cane user)  I'm
especially interested in any services like this that exist that help focus on
technology so I can not only work on my fundimentals but also work with someone
who's more up to speed on the current best practices and options available.
(Use of GPS and other technology areas)
    In parallel with this, is someone in my position better working in my home
environment for a few / maybe many hours per week or should I consider a full
emersion program that focuses on independent travel and lasts for several weeks
to a month or more but might require travel outside the area and require time
off.  Any pointers would be appreciated.
    For what it's worth, using a GPS tool now has definitely helped me push the
skills I have and definitely gives me confidence to travel.  I've always been
frightened on a very deep level about becoming completely lost and the GPS
definitely helps provide a safety net.

  Thank you!

Scott