[gpodder-devel] secure gpodder.net

  • From: brot at gmx.info (Bernd Schlapsi)
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 12:06:30 +0100

On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 00:38 +0200, Stefan K?gl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 2011-01-06 21:16, schrieb Stefan Derkits:
> > On 06/01/11 20:03, Bernd wrote:
> >> At the moment http://gpodder.net/ is only available through an http
> >> connection.
>
> Actually this is not quite true... Just try
>
>  https://gpodder.net/
>

> >> What are your plans for http:/gpodder.net?
>
> In terms of business plans, there's nothing serious so far...
>

> >> Would you support a campaign on a croudfunding site?
>
> We didn't initiate anything like that so far, but I don't see any
> reasons against it.
>

> > Another Point that needs to be considered with increasing popularity of
> > gpodder would be the Speed. At the Moment sometimes the Website is
> > nearly unacessible or very very slow.
>
> Currently my main focus is on rewriting the backend to use CouchDB
> instead of MySQL, which should give some speed-up. It should then also
> be easier to scale by just adding new virtual machines if necessary. I'd
> expect the CouchDB-migration to be finished within 2 or 3 month from now.
>

> -- Stefan

OK, you're right - this was my fault.

But https://gpodder.net is only used if someone visits this site directly.

All 3 available mygpo libraries (Python, C and Java) are using http for the
connection and don't have the option to use https
python: http://repo.or.cz/w/mygpoclient.git/blob/HEAD:/mygpoclient/locator.py
c:
http://www.gitorious.org/libmygpo-qt/libmygpo-qt/blobs/master/src/UrlBuilder.cpp
java:
https://github.com/nheid/mygpodderlib/blob/master/src/main/java/com/unitedcoders/gpodder/GpodderAPI.java

Will the https access always be available in the future beside the http access?
If yes I will write feature requests for all 3 libraries to include the option
to use a https connection instead of http

Bernd