[gpodder-devel] secure gpodder.net

  • From: brot at gmx.info (Bernd)
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 20:03:50 +0100

 Hello,

 At the moment http://gpodder.net/ is only available through an http
 connection. This means that username, password and the content are
 always transferred in clear text.
 It would be great if gpodder.net would be available through https. At
 the moment gpodder.net is only used from the gPodder python clients. But
 in the future there will be an amarok plugin. Android apps will also
 follow. And gpodder.net will be hopefully integrated in more apps in the
 future.

 In my opinion it's important to provide https access for the api and
 the homepage. Maybe you/we could set up a campaign on a croudfunding
 site (e.g http://www.indiegogo.com/) to collect some money for the
 certificate which is necessary for the https connection.

 Another possibility could be to use a CAcert certificate
 (http://www.cacert.org/). The problem with CAcert certificates is that
 the certificate authority isn't available in the browsers and mobile
 plattforms.

 What do you think? What are your plans for http:/gpodder.net?
 Would you support a campaign on a croudfunding site?

 Bernd